Pininyahang Manok is one Filipino dish that can easily be mistaken as chicken curry, but its color and its minimal ingredient, primarily and most of the time just the pineapple chunks will give away that it is indeed a pininyahang manok.
What You Need:
- 1/4 kg. chicken thigh, leg or breast part
- a can of evaporated milk
- a can of pineapple chunks
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
- a teaspoon of peppercorn
- 1 tsp of patis
- cooking oil
What to Do:
- Rinse the chicken. Drain it of water.
- Separate the pineapple chunks from its syrup. Don’t throw away the syrup.
- In a pan, saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add patis, followed by the chicken, Cook until the chicken is tender or has turned slightly brown.
- Once the chicken is tender, pour the pineapple syrup and a teaspoon of peppercorn into the pan. Let it simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the evaporated milk, bell pepper and then the pineapple chunks. Cover the pan and let it simmer again, but don’t let it dry out of the milk and syrup sauce.